paternity lawyer

Expecting a baby? Have a child and not married to the other parent? Regardless of whether you have signed a Recognition of Parentage or if you need to establish paternity of the child, Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A., can help.

As an unmarried parent, you will need to face many of the same issues as do parents in a divorce. At Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A., our Minnesota family law lawyers can help you with matters such as:

  • Legal (decision making) and physical custodial rights
  • Parenting Time issues
  • Child Support issues; including basic child support, child care and medical contribution

A paternity action establishes a legal determination of fatherhood between unmarried couples. Either party can allege or dispute the parentage of the child. If there is a Recognition of Parentage (ROP) signed by the parents, either party may bring an action regarding custody, parenting time, and child support. If there is no signed Recognition of Parentage (ROP) then paternity has to be established through a court action.

At Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A, we represent mothers and fathers in all matters related to a paternity action. Once paternity is determined, either through a Recognition of Parentage (ROP) or court action, we will also assist in resolving custody, parenting time and child support related issues. Often these matters can be resolved without going to court by alternative dispute resolution including Mediation and Collaborative Practice and our experienced attorneys work closely with their clients throughout these processes. Establishing the paternity of a child is a legal matter that may involve a court hearing if there is not a Recognition of Parentage signed. Our attorneys are experienced with these hearings and will take the time to explain all the processes involved and the options that are available to you. If paternity is disputed or any of the other issues are disputed and they have to be brought before the court our attorneys are well qualified to present your case to the court.

How can I establish paternity for my child?

Establishing paternity for your child is an important step to legally determine the biological relationship between a father and child. At Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A., located in Minnetonka, Minnesota, we specialize in family law matters, including paternity issues. Our experienced attorneys can guide you through the legal process of establishing paternity, which may involve DNA testing, court proceedings, or voluntary acknowledgments of paternity.

What are the legal rights and responsibilities of a biological father?

When it comes to the rights and responsibilities of a biological father, our firm can provide comprehensive legal advice. We can help you understand your rights as a father, including matters related to child custody, visitation rights, decision-making authority, and child support obligations.

Can I contest the paternity of a child if I have doubts about being the biological father?

If you have doubts about being the biological father of a child, it is crucial to consult with a qualified attorney who can guide you through the process. At Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A., we understand the sensitive nature of these situations and can help you contest paternity if necessary. We will work diligently to protect your rights and explore all available legal options.

What legal steps can I take to establish paternity if the mother is unwilling to cooperate?

In cases where the mother is unwilling to cooperate in establishing paternity, our law firm can assist you. We have experience navigating complex paternity cases and can help initiate legal proceedings to establish paternity through court orders or alternative methods such as genetic testing.

How does paternity affect child custody and visitation rights?

Paternity can significantly impact child custody and visitation rights. At Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A., we understand the importance of maintaining strong relationships between fathers and their children. Our skilled attorneys will advocate for your rights as a father and work towards achieving a fair and favorable outcome regarding custody and visitation matters.

Contact Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A. in Minnetonka

We’re proud to offer legal advice and services to clients throughout the Twin Cities. To discuss your legal needs with a lawyer at Beckman Steen & Lungstrom, P.A., contact us for a free 30 minute consultation online or call our Minnetonka office at 952-938-3411.