Divorce can be a difficult time. You are looking at a time where you are going to have to make a lot of changes to your life. Your living situation and finances are all going to change. When you have children, it gets even harder.
To ensure that your divorce has the best outcome, it is important to hire the right lawyer. He or she may be the difference between a bad settlement and a good one.
Here are some tips to find the right divorce attorney.
- Ask friends and family what lawyer they used. However, you should also take this a step farther. Ask them if they liked their lawyer and why. If they didn’t, you really need to know what was wrong with him or her. Make sure that it wasn’t just because they were going through such a hard time in life.
- Look at several options before you choose the right one. Many people hire the first lawyer that they can find, no matter if he or she is a good fit. However, while that certainly does work at times, that may not always be the best way to go. You should narrow your search to include a few lawyers.
- Make sure that you choose a lawyer who specializes in family law and divorce. You also need to make sure that he or she has experience in the type of divorce that you are going through. This ensures that they have the knowledge to help you resolve the issues your case.
- Look for someone who is experienced in litigation and negotiation methods. You need to find a lawyer who has been in the courtroom with cases just like yours, and that same lawyer should also have the skills necessary to settle a case through mediation or collaboration in order to avoid litigation if that is the best course to follow. This ensures that they have the ability to guide you through the option that best suits your issues.
- Make sure you are comfortable with the attorney and have good rapport. You will be communicating with your lawyer a lot so make sure that you feel heard and can ask your lawyer questions if you don’t understand. A lawyer who explains the process and understands how difficult the process can be, can go a long way.
- Once you narrow down your search, start by calling the office and gathering some information. You can talk to the legal assistant of a firm and ask them some basic questions. Fees and payments should be discussed so you know what their policy is (and if you can afford them). A retainer is typically required before they would start working for you. It is also important to talk to the legal assistant about what types of cases that they take on and where their experience lies.
- Then, you should meet your lawyer in person. Most lawyers offer a free consult to potential clients where you can each get a feel for each other. It is important to meet with potential lawyers and talk about your needs. Many will use this time to talk about your case and what they could do for you. Don’t be afraid to ask about his or her experience both in court and outside of court.
Hiring the right lawyer for you is important. Just because someone is less expensive than another, should not be the only reason you choose a certain attorney. It is important to do your research before you hire someone who can help you get set up for your future.
Contact us for all of your legal needs.