Dealing with the frustration of not reaching an agreeable parenting arrangement with an ex-spouse can be emotionally challenging. At Beckman, Steen & Lungstrom, we understand the importance of securing visitation rights and providing guidance through the legal process. If you find yourself in this situation, our Minnetonka family law attorneys are here to help. Let’s walk through the process of obtaining visitation rights and discuss potential obstacles you may face.
Understanding Visitation Rights
Visitation rights, also known as parenting time, refer to the noncustodial parent’s legal right to spend time with their child. If you are seeking visitation rights, it’s crucial to understand the legal steps involved and the potential challenges that may arise.
Initiating the Process
- Consulting with an Attorney: Begin by scheduling a consultation with a family law attorney. At Beckman, Steen & Lungstrom, our experienced attorneys will assess your case and provide personalized advice based on Minnesota family law.
- Filing a Petition: Your attorney will assist you in filing a petition with the court, outlining your request for visitation rights. This legal document details the proposed visitation schedule and highlights your commitment to the child’s well-being.
While pursuing visitation rights, you may encounter obstacles that require careful navigation:
- Disagreements with the Ex-Spouse: If you and your ex-spouse cannot agree on visitation terms, the court may need to intervene to establish a fair and reasonable arrangement.
- Concerns About Parental Fitness: The court may assess the fitness of both parents to determine if visitation is in the best interests of the child. Any history of substance abuse, neglect, or other concerns may impact the outcome.
- Child’s Best Interests Standard: Minnesota courts prioritize the best interests of the child when deciding visitation. Demonstrating your commitment to fostering a positive relationship and providing a stable environment is crucial.
- Parenting Plan Modification: If there is an existing parenting plan, seeking modifications to include visitation rights may require legal assistance. Our attorneys can guide you through this process.
Securing Your Visitation Rights
Navigating the complexities of obtaining visitation rights can be challenging, but with the support of our skilled family law attorneys, you can increase the likelihood of a favorable outcome. We are committed to advocating for your rights and facilitating a visitation arrangement that serves the best interests of your child.
Serving Surrounding Cities
Our Minnetonka family law firm proudly extends its services to clients in surrounding cities, including Eden Prairie, Hopkins, Plymouth, St. Louis Park, Edina, Wayzata, Golden Valley, Excelsior, Chanhassen, and Bloomington.
Contact Beckman, Steen & Lungstrom
If you are determined to secure visitation rights and need experienced legal representation, call our Minnetonka family law attorneys at Beckman, Steen & Lungstrom by dialing (952) 938-3411. Let us guide you through the legal process and help you achieve the visitation arrangement you seek.